The Compound Effect, by Darren Hardy
Jumpstart your income, your life, your success
TOTALSUCCESS Book & Coaching Club,
by Miguel De La Fuente,
Life and Business Coach.
I love helping people become Exceptional.
Hi, today we have an awesome book by Darren Hardy, called, “The Compound Effect” with awesome ideas, here are some of the most important ideas I learnt (or reinforced) form the book, with my own take on them.
Your decisions shape and create your destiny. In fact, the smallest decisions sometimes have the greatest impact in your life.
The compound effect is the principle of reaping huge rewards from a series of small, smart daily choices and actions. It´s about the power of little things adding up.
What is fascinating about this principle is that, even though the results are massive, the actions in the moment don’t feel that important or significant. It´s only when you add all those small actions when you can see the difference.
And this is the challenge. The challenge is that it´s very easy to miss on those small inconsequential, insignificant actions on a daily basis because you don’t see much improvement. It’s like reading 30 minutes a day, or doing 20 minutes of cardio, in a day to day you won’t see much difference.
These was perfectly explained in another awesome book, “Atomic Habits”, by James Clear. You can also see the summary here at TotalSuccess Book Club.
“What is simple to do is also simple not to do”, as Jim Rohn used to say.
The real magic is not in the complexity of the task, but in doing SIMPLE THINGS REPEATEDLY, over and over, AND LONG ENOUGH FOR THE MIRACLE TO HAPPEN.
You can repeat simple daily disciplines versus the daily simple errors or judgement. It’s about work, discipline and good habits. The compound effect is always working, either on your favor or against you. With enough practice, any behavior, good, or bad, becomes automatic over time.
Every decision affects and alters the trajectory of your life. The biggest challenge is we are not conscious about those decisions. We live on auto-pilot. However, you need to understand how important your choices are, even those that appear insignificant.
“You are responsible for what you do, or don’t do, or how you respond to what’s done to you”
- Steady and consistency wins the race. Regularity is the most powerful habit you can develop. Regularity produces miraculous results over time. In business and in life, it´s the consistency game the one that creates the most spectacular results over time.
- There is no substitute for hard hard work. You need to make up in hard work what you lack in experience or innate ability.
- Be the guy that says NO, go against the crowd. The majority of people don’t produce outstanding results.
- Even one small change can produce extraordinary ripple effects.
- Complacency destroys Prosperity. Wealth tends to skip a generation, but not necessarily, depends how you educate your children. Many people have lost the strong work ethic, grit, and perseverance necessary to create outstanding results ad success. People have forgotten the massive effort it takes to create an extraordinary achievement.
Many of the great empires lost that condition because of complacency. They fail because of their success, or better yet, because they stopped doing what made them successful in the first place.
- We are all self-made, but only the successful take credit for it.
- Luck is all around you, it’s only a matter of opening your mental eye, being prepared and taking the opportunities that present themselves.
- “The day you graduate from childhood to adulthood is the day you take full responsibility for your life”. Jim Rohn.
- The earlier you start making small changes, the more powerfully the compound effect will work for you.
- A daily routine build on great habits is what separates the best, and most successful people from everyone else. Create empowering rituals that become automatic.
- Larry Bird´s relentless dedication made him one of the best basketball players of all time. When he was growing up HE WOULD PRACTICE EVERY DAY 500-FREE THROWS BEFORE GOING TO SCHOOL. His discipline and dedication made him one of the best. It wasn’t his talent. (same thing happens in Silicon Valley, entrepreneurs putting in 100-hour work week).
- Extraordinary accomplishments don’t necessarily guarantee joy, happiness, love and sense of meaning, success without fulfillment is failure. This is why is so important to things you truly love and give you meaning besides the success.
- If you are not making the progress you would like is because your goals are not clearly defined. You have to keep them clear, repeat them every day and reinforce the vision.
- Success is not something you achieve but something you become. What stands between you and your goals is your behavior. You need to figure it out what behaviors are blocking your prosperity.
- You will never change your life until YOU CHANGE SOMETHING YOU DO DAILY. The secret is your daily routine or lack of it.
- IF PEOPLE WOULD JUST WALK 1000 MORE STEPS PER DAY THEY WOULD CHANGE THEIR LIVES.
- An object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted on by an outside force. Objects in motion tends to stay in motion, so the most important for your success is TO CREATE THAT MOTION, to create momentum. A rocket ship will use more fuel in the first several minutes of its flight than it does on the rest of the entire trip because the greatest demand of energy is fighting inertia. Everything just wants to be at rest until it reaches a specific point where it just wants to be moving. This is why successful people tend to stay that way.
BUILD THAT MOMENTUM EXPLOSION with every little effort. You become unstoppable when you reach that momentum point, that tipping poin
- THE GREATER THE CHALLENGE OR THE GOAL YOU ARE TRYING TO ACHIEVE, THE MORE RIGOROUS YOUR ROUTINE NEEDS TO BE. A routine is something you do every day without fail. This creates explosive momentum. This helps you act instinctively in the middle of chaos. Its ingrained in your subconscious, like Jack Nicklaus famous pre shot routine, he would perform this routine in almost exactly manner.
- Look at your top goals daily, your 3 years’ vision, your 10-year vision, every single day, focus on what you want to create.
- BUILD EXCEPTIONAL ROUTINES FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE DAY, AND THE END OF THE DAY, WITH SPECIFIC ACTIONS YOU WILL TAKE. Be discipline in this routine.
- TIME TO THRIVE: Every Friday at 6 p.m. Darren goes with his wife on a date. Every Saturday is family time. This means no working. If you don’t create this boundaries, one day has the tendency to flow into the next one. Also on Sunday, at 6 p.m., they have their RR (relationship review). This is a practice from relationship experts Linda and Richard Eyre. They discuss the previous week, wins, loses, things need to work on the relationship. This is an awesome exercise.
- Nothing kills your momentum more than the lack of consistency. If consistency is the key to build up momentum, lack of consistency destroys it.
- You mind is like an empty glass; it holds anything you decide to put into it. In order to create the life, you want, first you need to neutralize the flow of negativity into your life. Put yourself on a Media and News diet. 80% of the news are negative. Eliminate everything that blocks your growth and prosperity.
ACTIONS AND EXERCISES:
- WRITE DOWN A FEW EXCUSES YOU MIGHT BE HOLDING TO.
- Write down small seemingly inconsequential actions you can stop doing to improve dramatically the quality of your life. Write down the small ones that would make the greatest difference.
- Darren used an awesome little exercise to dramatically improve his marriage, he started a Thanks Giving Journal for his wife. Every day he wrote something he appreciated about her, and gave it to her for thanksgiving holiday. What an awesome exercise and commitment.
- TRACKING: In order o become more aware of your choices on a daily and small scale, track every choice in a specific area.
Get a small pocket notebook and write everything you eat from today, or your daily expenses, or how you relate, or what you think. Whatever you want to track down, write it down. Tracking is a simple but powerful exercise.Track the time you spend on social media, watching the news. You will be surprise how much you spend on them and how little they help you grow. Many people spend over 3.5 hours per day. Imagine of you would spend this time learning, studying or becoming better at what you do?
- START JOURNALING: Write about the areas of your life you are having more difficulties, write about your dreams, goals, desires. Create a powerful vision for the future.
Start tracking your daily expenses in your pocket notebook. Or better jet, use my TotalSuccess app, which makes it much more effective.
- WRITE YOUR 3-MOST IMPORTANT GOALS in your life now. Go ahead.
- Get a success buddy. This is one of the most important practices you can have and develop to transform your life. A buddy or supporting friend, one that you meet once a week or so, and go over your most important goals and dreams and other situations you are having in your life, will make a massive difference.Choose a day and place (can be online) in which you will meet with your success buddy. Go over your goals, your frustrations, everything.We are developing right now the Total Success TEAMS, just for this purpose. Download the app.
Create healthy competitions between teams. (For example having competition to see what team walks the most in a single week).
- GET A PEAK PERFORMANCE PARTNER: This is an extension of the buddy, this is more a partner that studies success, wants to improve, is committed and you can share what you learnt. This person can also be your success buddy.
IT´S THE EXTRA EFFORT AFTER YOU HAVE DONE YOUR BEST THAT WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.
……………………….you can read the rest of the discussion at my TotalSuccess App,
Go to www.turboday.com and download TotalSuccess app, the # 1 Success Platform in the world. The best 10-minute investment you can do on a daily basis.
Also call me for a TotalSuccess coaching session to develop a crystal clear vision for your life and the commitment to follow.
by Miguel De La Fuente, Life and Business Coach. I love helping people become Exceptional. +507-62463797.